Currently in: Naivasha, Kenya

Saturday, July 16, 2011

EARTHQUAKE

So last night, July 15th around 9:30pm I got to experience my first earthquake. Travis and I were up in the hostal doing some work on the computers and due to the wobbly table and chairs I didn’t recognize what was going on at first. The table was shacking for about 10 seconds before Travis said “earthquake!”. We were up on the 6th floor of our building so the tremor had just started little and was growing. When I looked around everything was shaking, the water in my glass was violently stirring around, my bag on the floor was moving, and the pictures on the wall were swaying back in forth. We rushed into the living room of the hostal and were excited and rather anxious about the entire building shaking, to our surprise Maricel, the girl who works the front desk, only responded to our excitement with “nah, it is only a tremor, no big deal.” Apparently a 4.8 earthquake is “no big deal” to Chileans. Weird. But at least it was exciting for us.