Currently in: Naivasha, Kenya

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

July 12th 2011

We arrived in Santiago this morning. I can not believe I am actually here. You can think and dream about something all you want, but its not until you are walking around, confused, lost, and can’t speak the language that it becomes real. I don’t think it will set in for a long while that this is my new home.

I left Yellowstone last Thursday July 8th. I was pretty sad to go, that place felt more right with my soul than anywhere I have lived before. My time there was only 6 weeks but I felt so rejuvenated and refreshed during that time. I learned what peace was, and I know that is going to come in handy these next few months here.

After an extremely delayed couple of plane flights home, I landed in Houston TX 1:00 am July 9th, 2011. It was my first time back in the South during a summer in 3 years and it was at least 95° and 90% humid. It was disgusting. But I loved my 3 days I got at home. Got to hang out with family, catch up with wonderful old friends who made me laugh harder than I have in a long time, and just be reminded how great home really is.

I left Houston at 9:00am Monday July 11th. Had a 10 hour layover in Atlanta. It’s cool the way God works cause he let me tour both of my homes before taking off for a long adventure. Caroline, my roommate for this past year and greatest gift to my life in the past 6 months picked me up at the airport and took me back to the bungalow. Time with her and then a random assortment of other people I absolutely adore really made for the best layover of my life. We even had dinner at my favorite Atlanta restaurant, The Flying Biscuit.

Tam and Fites dropped me off at the airport where I met up with 3 of my team members; Sean, Nick, and Chris. We all happened to be flying out on the same flight at 10pm all under buddy passes down to Chile. We said goodbye to their parents and at the gate found a pleasant surprise- the flight was half empty, therefore we would all not only get on the flight, but would be flying first class together down there!. Now that is a way to travel- all the foot room you could want, a menu in which to choose from the best air plane food I have ever tasted, non-stop personal service, a lap TV full of your choice of movies and open bar. All that plus Nick and I chatted most the trip in our excitement of what’s to come, I barley even got to try the fully reclining chair’s “sleep” position. Probably due to our giggling and excitement, everyone thought Nick and I were on our honeymoon, it made us laugh even more and just said thank you to all the congratulatory remarks. At about 7:00am breakfast was served, I choose the fresh egg and spinach bagels complete with fresh fruit and a mimosa and when we opened up the screen on the window next to me, we were met with the most INCREDIBLE view. The sun was coming up over the mountains and was bursting with colors as the fog below was rising up off the valleys. The snow capped mountains were every where, stretching far beyond what I could seen- even from up in the air. The size and beauty of them made my heart skip a beat. It was unreal.

The plane landed and we made our way through security and customs, all of us and our bags made it through fine. Spanish was everywhere around me. Already I felt inadequate at my lack of understanding the language. I am going to have to learn it so fast because I NEED to communicate with people. How will I make new friends without it?!?!

Travis Horsley, an old friend and tech alum who has been down here since January had offered to pick us up in the El Oasis van. El Oasis is the Santiago branch of CCF back at tech. Basically students and recent grads come down here to minister to Chilean college students, to build community and love and inspire them. So Travis met us there in the airport and took us to our temporary home- Hostal de Armes in the Plaza de Armes Square in the very center of town. It is beautiful. Up on the 6th floor of this very old building, it has large balconies looking over the square. Right now there is come kind of drum circle and music going on out there as well as a protest of some sorts.

Then Travis and I headed to El Oasis. I had heard about this place from so many friend who have interned down here, I was way pumped to go check it out. It was really quaint house in a really interesting part of the city. Then we got to go surprise a hero of mine. Mr. Lucas Fortunado, my fresh-tern from CCF my freshman year. Haven’t seen him since the end of freshman year. He is leaving Santiago after being here for 4 years any day now. That guy meant a lot to my life way back in 05, it was a gift from above to drop in and say hello before he leaves back to the states.

Travis taught me some Spanish lessons as he took me to lunch. I had a very traditional Chilean sandwich complete with mayo and guacamole witch I heard goes on everything here. It was delicious and the people we met in the café were wonderful. A metro ride took us back to the hostal where I met up with the other boys. We wondered around the plaza outside and it was sensory overload. Street performers everywhere, music, vendors, food, people walking by the hundreds- through the plaza around the gorgeous old fountains and old men playing chess in the gazebo. It was amazing just to walk around and watch. I could tell everyone was watching me too. Gringos (white people) stick out enough, add the fact that I was the only blond girl within miles and everyone knew I was a tourist. But they all smiled, and most wanted to chat with me. I MUST learn Spanish.

We took off to a bar where we were meeting some couch surfers. It was an old run down bar, perfect for getting pumped for the upcoming soccer match against Peru. There were 4 people visiting form Hong Kong there too as well as plenty of friendly Chileans. I had my first Chilean drink, in English it means “the earthquake” it’s a mix of pineapple ice cream, liquor, and not completely filtered wine. And it was delicious. A grand time of laughter and trying to learn more Spanish we then had a great walking tour of Santiago.

This city is beautiful. Everyone walks everywhere or takes the metro. The architecture is a mix of old and new and everywhere you look, there are snow capped mountains in the distance. The couch surfers dropped us off at another bar/restaurant where we were meeting our Start-up-Chile Host, Macarena. Macarena is a Chilean Engineer and assigned to us by the program to help make Chile our home. She’s 25 and just married 2 months ago. Her and her husband were a blast. And we cheered as loud as we could watching the soccer game and having our first Piscolas and Pisco Sours… mmmmm… ssoo good. The game was incredible. And in the last minute of the game Chile scored to win the game and the city erupted. Honestly the entire country must have gone wild. As we headed out into the street thousands of people were walking all yelling a the top of their lungs Chilean cheers and songs. Everyone jumping up and down and waving flags, throwing confetti it was crazy exciting. We headed to the main intersection where everyone gathers to celebrate Chilean wins. We quickly met some locals who taught us all the cheers and songs and in no time we found ourselves caught up in the frenzy and patriotism of it all. Chileans for the most part really like Americans. Especially those singing their national cheers at full volume and jumping around in the crowd with them. I get to be proud to be a gringo here, And proud to be able to route for Chile. Around the celebration riot police could be seen watching and standing by, just in case. As things got more and more packed and crazy we started to head back to the hostal. Its been a LONG day and an incredible one at that. I can’t believe this was just day one, I have a strange feeling that everyday is going to be like this, so farewell sleep and hello new surprises everyday. I love this place already, so happy to be here, can not wait till tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. This just warms my heart. I can see you there. In this city of Pisco sour, mountain views, SOCCER, and celebrations. I'm glad you are loving it, even with the language issue. I can't wit to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you think going to a country where they speak another language is confusing. How about going to another country where YOU THOUGHT you had learned their language, only to find out that they speak a completely different dialect then the rest of the world. And I can't wait to visit you.

    ReplyDelete